Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Training Day 3 - The Hills

Today my training will consist of a 20KM run, followed by resistance training at the Stanley Park Rugby Clubhouse. The run will begin in Vancouver's West End and wrap up in beautiful British Properties, a section of West Vancouver.

Step 1: Warm-Up
A solid stretch was in order this morning. At 7am, it isn't exactly hot outside yet, and there's always a chance of injury. I begin with a head-to-toe stretch, starting with neck rotations, through to shoulders, upper arms, chest, back, upper legs, groin, inner thighs, knees, calf muscles, ankles and feet. After every 3rd stretch, I'm drinking water. Now I'm ready to get moving! But we must ease into a run of this length.

Step 2: Setting the pace
A good tip for setting your pace is to TALK! This works best when training with a partner, but I'm not afraid of looking like a fool. I'll talk to myself! I like to find a nice comfortable pace where I can still carry a conversation while running. I find the talking/running combination works wonders for your stamina, and by forcing you to take more breaths, your muscles acquire more oxygen and are able to take the abuse.

Step 3: Keeping the Pace
As I wind around Vancouver's West End, through Stanley Park and towards the Lions Gate Bridge, I start feeling like a million bucks! I'm tempted to kick it into gear and really burn this bridge. But alas, this is a 20 K run, and I don't want to blow my wad this early. I pull out my trusty MP3 player mid-stride, and load up an audiobook. It's a Discworld novel, one of Terry Pratchett's. You may be tempted to listen to up-tempo dance music or punk/heavy metal, but trust me, save these for the gym, when you need explosive power for things like power-lifting and speed training. An audiobook is a nice, conversational pace, perfect for those who follow the TALK principle while on long-distance runs.

Step 4: Adjust To The Hill
As I exit the Lions Gate Bridge, loop around the bike path and begin my ascent up the brutally steep Taylor Way, my stride lengthens, my arms swing more freely, and my hips bend slightly forward. I want to keep the same pace, so I must adjust to the incline.

Step 5: Form over Fast
I don't need to beat any time trials today. I'm not racing my little brother. I know that perfect form, done at a moderate speed, will give me more benefits than a sloppy, albeit speedy run. My arms are positioned as follows: 1) Keep elbows bent at a 90 degree angle 2) Wrists should be locked 3) hands are open, yet relaxed 4) Swing arms at the shoulders, bringing hand up to eye-level 5) Left leg forward = right arm raised

Step 6: Hydrate
Taylor Way bears right at Stevens. The incline is not as large. The hard part is over. At this point, my muscles are feeling the strain. It's important to hydrate before, during, and after a workout, so this is the during part. My water bottle is filled with an electrolyte sports drink, which I am sipping, not swigging. I use a small amount to swish out my mouth, spitting on the ground. A well-oiled machine needs servicing from time to time. No stopping, just sipping!

Step 7: Take in the View
As the summit approaches, I am nearing the 10KM mark. I know I have achieved a milestone, hitting 50% of my total run. I deserve to relish in this moment. I take a short rest, slowing down the pace to a walk, but never stopping. I don't want my muscles to seize up like the Tin Man, so it's important not to plop down on the ground and lie there. Once my heart rate is back to moderate, or rest pace, I take one last look around, and begin my descent back down Stevens.

Step 8: Don't Let Yourself Go
Running downhill, your body wants to let gravity take over and speed up the pace. This is taking the easy way out. It's much harder to fight the forces and slow your pace to the TALK speed. Running downhill is fine, if there is a bear after you. I don't want to blow a knee, so I take it slow, step easy, and keep my head up. As the road winds down and down, I gradually notice my muscles loosening up. I'm ready for the home stretch.

Step 9: Over the Bridge and Through The Woods
To Grandmother's House I go? Not quite. As I cross the Lions Gate Bridge, feeling a wee bit winded, I begin planning out my resistance workout at the Rugby Clubhouse nestled in Stanley Park. Mapping out a routine takes my mind off my quads, which feel like they are about to burst. Now is the perfect time to kick it up a notch. My mind wanders though lunges, bench-blasts and chin-ups, while my body turns up the heat and I go to all-out sprint for the last kilometer. Now is the perfect time for a quick upper-body blast!

Step 10: Weight a Minute
Who says you have to spend all day in a gym to achieve your fitness goals? Here is my quick, intense routine, using an outdoor gym, or even a child's playground (if you are allowed within 50 feet of a playground):

Chinups (10 reps wide grip / 10 reps reverse grip)

Close-grip pushups (25 reps)

Incline Pushups, using Park Bench (25 reps)

Lat Pullups, using waist-height bar (15 reps)

Bicycle Crunches, lying on back touch left elbow to right knee, etc (50 reps)

Crunches, however you prefer (30 reps)

Repeat

Step 11: Cool It Down
It is important to cool down & stretch after an intense workout like this. I have a 10-minute walk from Stanley Park to my apartment, which is perfect. As I walk, I end my workout with some walking lunges, side lunges, and calf-raises. Once I reach my front door, I stretch head-to-toe, head inside and hydrate. A great way to make your own sports drink is using lime juice, water, sugar to taste, and a pinch of salt. At only pennies a glass, I am hydrated, cooled down, and smilin'!

Step 12: Re-Fuel!
You only have a short window with which to re-fuel after a workout. I believe you should eat a solid meal within an hour after working out, in order to effectively repair your battered muscles. Any combination of protein/greens/clean carbs will do. I like a tuna sandwich on squirrely bread with a spinach salad on the side. Protein/meal replacement shakes are good too, just read the label to make sure they don't have too much refined sugar in them. This workout should leave you feeling energized, not crashing from a sugar-high! Eat smart, and you'll live to see another workout tomorrow! Go to bed early, wake up at 6:30, and prepare for Training Day 4 - Swimming Time!

No comments: